At Planet Ford in Spring on I-45, we are excited about the debut of the 2018 Ford F-150. It is said to be even tougher, even smarter, and even more capable than ever – with the most advanced F-150 powertrain lineup ever that delivers best-in-class towing, payload and efficiency for America’s pickup drivers. As much as our team and customers love the 2017 Ford F-150, it’s hard to imagine anything could be better, but take a look at what will be in our showroom very soon!
The 2018 F-150 is going to have an EPA estimated rating of 20 mpg city, 26 mpg highway and 22 mpg combined. Yes, you read that right. That means, it will be best-in-class from the second-generation 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine, plus best-in-class towing (13,200 lbs.) and payload capacity (3,270 lbs.) from the 3.5-liter EcoBoost and enhanced 5.0-liter V8, respectively.
“The Ford F-150 lineup again delivers on its promise to give full-size truck customers even more value, functionality and smart technology innovations, with engines with best-in-class towing, payload and fuel economy,” stated Todd Eckert, the Ford truck group marketing manager. “Our new F-150 highlights Ford’s commitment to its hardworking truck customers and how we listen to their demands for their new F-150 to be even tougher, even smarter and even more capable for work and play.”
It has been three years since Ford introduced a high-strength, military-grade, aluminum-alloy-bodied F-150. In 2018, a new truck will arrive with bold new styling, advanced technologies, a segment-first 10-speed automatic transmission and F-150’s most advanced engine lineup yet, which includes the first available diesel ever for F-150. F-150 is part of Ford’s F-Series truck lineup – America’s best-selling truck for 40 consecutive years and its best-selling vehicle for 35 years.
New powertrain lineup for available best-in-class payload, towing & MPG
The new F-150 offers the F-150’s most advanced engine offerings ever – all to offer the right engine for every hardworking truck customer.
An second-generation 2.7-liter EcoBoost® V6 with segment-exclusive SelectShift® 10-speed automatic transmission has an EPA-estimated rating of 20 mpg city, 26 mpg highway and 22 mpg combined which is best-in-class. With advanced dual port and direct-injection technology, the second-generation 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine delivers a 25 lb.-ft. increase in torque – and at lower engine speeds compared to a traditional V8. Like the second-generation 3.5-liter EcoBoost, this 2.7-liter EcoBoost will be paired with Ford’s segment-exclusive 10-speed SelectShift automatic transmission.
An enhanced 5.0-liter V8 boasts a best-in-class payload capacity of 3,270 pounds. This normally aspirated engine features significant upgrades for 2018 including advanced dual port and direct-injection technology for 10 more horsepower and an additional 13 lb.-ft. of torque. Spray-on bore liner technology also featured in the Shelby GT350® Mustang has been added to squeeze out even more weight from the aluminum block. For the first time, the V8 is paired with the 10-speed SelectShift automatic.
For best-in-class towing, the second-generation 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 delivers 13,200 pounds of towing capacity, thanks to its 470 lb.-ft. of torque that beats all diesel- and gasoline-powered competitors, including V8 engines with nearly twice its displacement. With dual port and direct-injection technology, the 375-horsepower twin-turbo engine provides ideal low-end and peak engine performance for hauling heavy payloads and towing heavy trailers.
Even the all-new 3.3-liter V6 engine is more efficient, more powerful and delivers more torque to get the job done, compared to the previously standard 3.5-liter V6. Plus, the now standard 3.3-liter provides a 5 percent power-to-weight ratio improvement versus the 2014 F-150 featuring steel body and 3.7-liter V6 – with better fuel economy and performance based on EPA-estimated ratings.
Designed, engineered and tested in-house, an all-new 3.0-liter Power Stroke® turbo diesel V6 paired with 10-speed SelectShift automatic joins the F-150 engine lineup for 2018. The first diesel engine offered for F-150 will be available next spring.
F-150’s new powertrain lineup
New F-150 offers the most advanced engine offerings ever, including standard Auto Start-Stop. Specifically:
Raising the bar through segment-exclusive materials and technologies
More than just styling that creates visually bolder and more planted stance, the new F-150 continues to offer a segment-exclusive combination of advanced materials that have proven durability through extensive real-world performance and inhibit corrosion. A high-strength, military-grade, aluminum alloy body and box that saves weight and adds capability coupled with a high-strength steel fully boxed ladder frame.
The new Ford F-150 further advances the light-duty pickup truck market with segment-first and class-exclusive technologies that improve productivity, efficiency and driver confidence, while keeping occupants connected to the world around them. Technologies include:
- New segment-first enhanced adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go functionality is available to allow drivers to set a cruising speed. The system then uses radar and camera technology to monitor traffic ahead to maintain a set distance between vehicles – even following a vehicle down to a complete stop
- New segment-first Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection is available to help drivers avoid or mitigate collisions with other vehicles and pedestrians
- An available new embedded 4G LTE modem with Wi-Fi hotspot enables customers to connect up to 10 mobile devices at one time, virtually anywhere
- New B&O PLAY audio system is available, offering high-end speakers, sound and tuning for a richer, more engaging listening experience
Existing segment-exclusive driver-assist and convenience features include:
- Available Pro Trailer Backup Assist allows F-150 drivers of various skill levels to steer a trailer instinctively using a center console-mounted dial to back-up a boat launch or park in a driveway
- Available Blind Spot Information System with trailer coverage technology is optimized for F-150 to include up to 33 feet of trailer length; BLIS® uses radar sensors in the taillamps to monitor areas that may not be visible to the driver around the truck and trailer
- Available 360-degree camera technology helps improve driver confidence when parking and can help reduce stress when connecting a trailer – allowing customers to see more so they can focus on specific tasks such as lining up a hitch
Available lane-keeping system is designed to help reduce drifting of the truck outside its intended lane
Watch for the 2018 Ford F-150 to be on sale this fall at Planet Ford in Spring (serving The Woodlands, Atascocita, Cypress, Aldine, Conroe, greater Houston area). Ready to get your new Ford now? Take a look at our huge selection, great savings and get award-winning service at www.PlanetFord45.com!